Radiesse® consists of microspheres of Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHa) suspended in a gel carrier (sodium carboxymethylcellulose). For years, CaHa has been an ingredient in various medical products.
Benefits of Radiesse®
Radiesse® is a dermal filler that counteracts the loss of facial fat by augmenting the soft tissue of the face. By compensating for this missing facial fat, the face appears more youthful. There is little to no downtime with dermal fillers.
Is There Anyone Who Should Avoid Treatment with Radiesse®?
Individuals who are allergic to any of its ingredients or only want a short-term restoration or augmentation are not good candidates for treatment with Radiesse®.
How Many Treatments
The areas that require volume to accomplish your desired determine how many treatments are recommended.
The length of time that each patient’s results last will differ. Reports from a recent clinical study indicate that all the participating patients’ treatment results lasted for at least a year.
What to Expect During Your Treatment
- The area(s) being injected are cleaned using an antiseptic.
- You will receive some form of anesthetic (local or topical). A topical anesthetic is applied directly on the skin, whereas a local anesthetic is an injection.
- A fine needle injects small amounts of Radiesse® into the skin.
- You may be given an ice pack to apply to treatment areas to help decrease the swelling you experience.
As with any treatment, there is the possibility of side effects.
The most common side effects are minor and include:
If you do experience these side effects, they are typically short-lived. Initially, you may be able to feel where Radiesse® was injected; this is nothing to be concerned with. In time, the injected areas will begin to feel like your own tissue.
As with any procedure requiring an injection through the skin, infection is possible. However, the clinical study reported no side effects.
What to Expect Following Treatment
You should expect some redness, swelling, and bruising. You will be given specific instructions to follow. These instructions are usually only necessary for the initial 24 hours after treatment.
These instructions include:
- Avoid applying makeup.
- Do not massage or significantly move the treatment areas.
- Do not expose your face to heat or spend an extensive amount of time in the sun
If you are in or near South Jersey and you are looking for a cosmetic doctor, contact Dr. Charles Dietzek’s South Jersey Cosmetic Center today. We specialize in treatments with Juvederm®, Belotero®, BOTOX®, and Radiesse®.