Summertime offers ample opportunities to get outside and enjoy sports and recreational activities. Before venturing out into the sun, a skin doctor will tell you that it’s important to protect your skin to avoid long-term damage.
Without preventive measures, you are at increased risk for skin cancers like basil cell carcinoma or melanoma. What’s more, sun damage will negatively impact your complexion as you get older. Chronic exposure will result in photo-aging, which leads to:
- Freckles and discolorations,
- Dry, scaly skin,
- Damage to connective tissues,
- Visible red blood vessels and capillaries,
- Darkened spots on your lips,
- Liver spots,
- Thinning of the skin,
- Deep wrinkling,
- Sandpaper spots or precancerous growths.
Can photo-aging be avoided?
Yes! It’s possible to avoid sun damage by taking preventative measures before exposing your skin to the sun. Here are some tips from a skin doctor to help you keep your skin looking great for years to come.
- Avoid spending time outdoors when the sun’s rays are at their brightest, generally between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Try to plan outdoor activities for the morning or late afternoon and evening.
- Wear a hat, long sleeves, and pants when spending time outside. Tightly woven materials offer the best protection.
- Use sunscreen of at least 15 SPF on exposed skin. If you remain in the sun, reapply sunscreen every two hours or after swimming or perspiring heavily.
- Remember to wear sunscreen even when it’s overcast, as the sun’s rays can still damage your skin.
- Avoid tanning beds and tanning accelerators.
- Be aware that reflective surfaces like sand, water, and concrete can intensify the sun’s rays and lead to sunburns quicker.
Can sun damage be reversed by a skin doctor?
With the right treatments, the effects of sun damage can be reduced or eliminated. For example, chemical peels remove damaged skin cells and prompt your body to regenerate healthy tissue. Microneedling works in a similar way. The process creates micro-channels in the skin. As they heal, healthy, new , healthy skin replaces the damaged skin. For wrinkles, derma fillers like Juvederm®, Botox® and Radiesse® can smooth your skin and erase years from your face.
Finding a solution for sun damage is as easy as scheduling a consultation with Dr. Charles Dietzek. An expert in cosmetic skin care solutions, Dr. Dietzek, can recommend the right treatment to restore a youthful, healthy glow to your complexion. Schedule an appointment today by calling 856-309-9777 or using our convenient online form.