All About Radiesse®
- Posted on: Sep 18 2015
Lines, wrinkles and creases on the face can lead to embarrassment and low self-esteem. If you are dealing with any of these issues, however, effective treatments are available. One such treatment is known as “Radiesse®.”
What is Radiesse®?
Radiesse® is a filler designed to reduce the appearance of creases, folds and wrinkles found on the face, especially around the mouth and nose. After treatment with Radiesse®, patients enjoy a more natural, youthful appearance with fewer signs of aging.
How Does it Work?
Radiesse® is an injectable filler. During treatment, a cosmetic surgeon begins by administering a local anesthetic. Next, he or she injects Radiesse® into various parts of the skin using a fine needle. In most cases, the entire procedure will take 15 minutes or less to complete. After your treatment is complete, you will be able to return to your normal activities immediately.
The material injected during Radiesse® treatments contains microspheres of calcium hydroxylapatite, which is similar to the minerals that compose human bone. These microspheres are delivered in a water-based gel. Once Radiesse® has been injected, it will stimulate the body to produce collage, which fills in wrinkles and creases and adds volume to the skin. Most patients will achieve the desired result with only one or two treatments.
Who is a Candidate for Treatment?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved Radiesse® for the treatment of folds, creases and wrinkles that are moderate to severe. This treatment is appropriate for use on the face and other areas of the body. Radiesse® can also be used to treat lipoatrophy in patients with HIV, as well as depressed scars.
Benefits of Radiesse®
The primary benefits of treatment with Radiesse® are as follows:
- Reduction of moderate to severe wrinkles – Studies have shown that Radiesse® can effectively treat lines by the mouth, around the nose and near the eyes.
- Works naturally – Unlike injectable collagens and other types of fillers, Radiesse® works by stimulating the skin’s own collagen production.
- Safe – The FDA has approved Radiesse® as a safe treatment for lines and wrinkles. The body absorbs this material naturally over time, and patients do not need to undergo allergy testing prior to treatment.
- Long-lasting – Radiesse® provides patients with long-lasting cosmetic results.
- Quick and effective – Treatment with Radiesse® takes as little as 15 minutes, and most patients need only one or two treatments to get the results they want.
If you are interested in treatment with Radiesse® or you would like to find more about other types of cosmetic treatment, please call us at the Vein and Vascular Institute.
Posted in: Aesthetic Procedures